If you are a beginner just learning the ropes in trekking, it can be an intimidating experience without the right kind of guidance. This is for all you newbie trekkers out there who want a quick guide to the basics of the sport. Trekking is the most fun way to unwind, exercise, and stay in touch with nature. If you’re starting off, it definitely helps if you read up and get some good advice before you venture out on your trails. Here are a few dos and don’ts to help you get started.
1.Pack light with just the bare essentials, a change of clothes, a first aid box, a swiss knife, a lighter or flint and some energy bars.
2.Dress for the wild, wear clothes that are comfortable and warm, ideally camo pants, and invest in a good pair of trekking shoes that are sturdy and have a firm grip
3.Talk and learn about trekking before you head out, ideally for your first few treks make sure you have experienced company or a trainer with you.
4.Chalk out the itinerary, carry a map and make sure you know the weather forecast, topography, possible wildlife, and dangers of a particular trail
5.Conserve energy and make sure you don’t drain yourself out, make sure you are properly hydrated on the big day
1. Litter your surroundings, this is a cardinal sin for trekkers and is a quick way to get kicked out of a trekkers community. The community is built on love and respect for nature and most trekkers are nature buffs.
2. Rely on appliances like cell phones, laptops or the internet for emergencies. In the wild, it’s quite possible for everything to go by Murphy’s law. So, make sure you’re equipped for the worst.
3. Give up if you are exhausted, push through it and train your body to adjust to nature. A positive outlook can help you stay focused and enjoy the experience
4. Eat wild berries, plants, or fruits unless you are a botanist or Bear Grylls. They might be poisonous and your trek can end up being a quick visit to the emergency ward
5. Disturb the local wildlife, it’s their home and you are visiting. So, make sure you leave nothing behind but your footsteps and leave with nothing more than a few good memories.
Here are a few trekking events in India so you can put these tips to use.
|October 19, 2015 – October 30, 2015||7:00 am – 2:00 pm||Mt Annapurna Basecamp Trek Kathmandu ,Nepal||Book Now|
|October 31, 2015 – November 1, 2015||12:05 pm – 9:00 pm||Pune Pune ,Maharashtra||placesaroundpune||Book Now|
|October 31, 2015 – November 1, 2015||12:05 pm – 9:00 pm||Assembly Point Plus Valley Adventure Office, 3, Anand Complex, Alkapuri Society, Paud Road, Kothrud, Pune||Aaditya/Prajakta
|November 1, 2015||6:00 am – 9:00 pm||Canyon Valley||sgtrekkers||Book Now|
|August 31, 2015 – December 31, 2015||10:45 am – 11:55 pm||Zaskar, Leh Ladakh ,Jammu and Kashmir||ntcadventures||Book Now|